Tuesday 20 January 2009

Skirts for Work

My husband is doing a public transport day today, so I have been up since 7am. It is going to be 37 degrees today and I wanted to finish my sewing projects early. So the cats are in the back room snoozing in the morning sun, my daughter is upstairs peacefully asleep and I have been finishing a tartan shoe order that I plan to drop off this afternoon.

As some of you know, this week heralds the return to part time work for me. Nervous, excited and unfortunately flat broke! So last night I decided to knock up two skirts to wear. I have zips, I have material and machines and I know what style suits me ... what's stopping me???


I loved the colour scheme that I used for the Wigglesworth Quilt that I recently completed and I still had scraps kicking around under my feet *blush*, so I decided to make a skirt to remember my achievement! I present to you the "Wigglesworth wrap skirt"... *drumroll*


I found enough to make a strip to go down the front, the waistband is in the polka dot fabric and the skirt is a proper wrap skirt. Which means if the wind picks up I am not going to be showing people my underwear!

The second skirt is a similar pattern, but with a zip down the back and some hand stamping on the front. I present to you the "Raw Cherry" skirt ... *drumroll*


The red lining is finished raw, and the black is properly hemmed. The skirts come down to just below my knee (where I like them for work) and the waist is comfortably high to make my lumps and bumps disappear! I have more ideas for some more alternative designs, but for work I like to keep it relatively simple.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god Margaret, they're gorgeous. Can I have one, or both, i'll be really really nice to you

fi said...

love the skirts Margaret, that red hem is killing me:)good luck with your return to wokk!

Unknown said...

Ooh, I love those skirts!

Suze said...

Love the skirts!

Kis said...

Cute!

Anonymous said...

I love those skirts, can I commission you to do one for me! Pretty please :-).

Spittalcroft said...

Great skirts,your'e so creative,would like one in navy if possible