Wednesday 9 September 2009

The Young Victoria

Went off last night to see "The Young Victoria" at the Balwyn Palace Cinema. After doing most of a day at teaching I did the run from St. Kilda to Northcote to change and do house stuff, then to Port Melbourne to pick up my hubby then to Dandenong to have dinner and pick up my daughter then to Northcote to put her to bed, then to Balywn for the movie ... I alone contribute far too much emissions to global warming ...

I love my period drama's. The costumes always make me want to rush home and pull out the Janome, the opulence makes me want to re-decorate my house and the drama makes me want to read more about the historical period. I intently watch for details in the background and it is always on the second watching that I can sit down, relax and enjoy the cinematic ride.



Young Victoria is a movie about a Young Queen Victoria and her relationship with Prince Albert. A lovely "blue rinse" movie. Not enough sexual references to make it a chick flick, no action to get the boys along, just drama. Although there was a "Mr. Darcy moment" when Prince Albert is standing there in a wet shirt ...

Rupert Friend who played Prince Albert did a lovely job and of course Emily Blunt who played Queen Victoria did a wonderful role. If you recognise her, she was from The Devil Wears Prada. I found myself saying "Bob" every time Miranda Richardson came onto the screen. I am not sure that the character worked well for her. We chuckled when Jim Broadbent appeared as King William, a very fitting role!

Enjoyable movie for a weeknight. I have found other period dramas to stimulate more conversation afterwards than this one, but I am sure that it will be popular in the UK. It doesn't offend anyone, no contraversial statements just lovely costumes.

2 comments:

NellGwynn said...

OH! I am in love with Rupert as Prince Albert in this movie! He's so sweet he's sexy!

NellGwynn said...

OH! I find Rupert as Prince Albert soooo sweet he's sexy as hell!