Thursday 14 October 2010

Colouring in Books

I lamented over what to do about colouring in books for Tori on the long flight to Germany (and beyond). The $2 shop has a nice assortment, but they tend to be character based and LARGE! We tend not to give her a lot of "branded" things to play with. So I started to hunt about for images to make some for her (because there isn't enough to do already).



I came across Raising our Kids which has a great collection of colouring in pages and "how to draw" pages that are quite educational. I combined those images with some of the Waybuloo's, Thomas the Tank and some Crayola Travel Bingo pages and voila. Photocopied 2 to a page, flip on short side. There are also some blank pages as well scattered throughout the books.




I then used a leather needle and thick thread on my trusty Janome to bind them. Tied the ends down and then stuck them to the spine.



We then gaffa taped the spines down to secure the stitching.



She has a collection of these colouring in books, along with some activity packs with stickers and glitter pens that Dad can grab for various parts of the trip when she needs some extra distractions. We opted not to go for the glue, only because it is a bit messy. But she does have a glue stick and scissors that she can play with when she gets to Germany.

6 comments:

Katharine said...

Wonderful!

Finki said...

they look fabulous and such a nicer idea than a bratz coloring book aughhh.....

Beky said...

Very cool.
------
When she is much older you will have to get her this colouring book. I loved it when I was a 10 year old.
http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Coloring-Book-Wynn-Kapit/dp/0805350861

Karen said...

i did a similar thing recently for Alyssa. She is getting to the point where she is practicing letters numbers spelling so I downloaded some preschool pages and she happily does her 'school work' in the back of the car ;o)

Karen said...

Those books are awesome, I'll have to remember this post when my little one is a bit older.

I want to try and stay away from 'branded' products and toys too if I can help it. Hopefully our relatives wont give them lots of those sorts of things as presents.

Leanne said...

Love it. What a great idea and I love the minimal branding, something that seems to be hard to achieve with anything related to kids.